Picket Post Mansion, Boyce Thompson Arboretum, Arizona, USA
– Picket Post Mansion, also known as the ‘Castle on the Rocks,’ was built by Colonel William B. Thompson
– Construction began in 1923, it took 14 months to complete and the estimated cost was $20,000
– The Colonel founded the Boyce Thompson Arboretum and donated his house and the surrounding property to the Arboretum in 1928. The Colonel passed away in 1930.
– When it became a financial burden to the Arboretum, the Mansion was sold in 1946 to Walter and Ida Franklin of Globe for $40,000. They operated it as a bed and breakfast.
– The Building changed hands again and was eventually acquired by Rick and Tina Rose who gave tours.
– On July 15, 2008, Arizona State Parks purchased the property to make the Arboretum whole again.